Thursday, February 23, 2017

Molds and Jewel Crete from Beacon

Sometimes I think I should have named this blog:
I Love Resin AND Mold Making.

Making and using unique molds goes hand in hand with anyone who works with resin or resin clay.

I have been looking for new ways to use my molds which are both purchased and hand crafted.

Today I get to share something that works brilliantly in molds 
which will be available to consumers very soon.


The product that made my featured cabochons so stunning is Jewel Crete from Beacon.
Jewel Crete is a concrete jewelry mix that comes with specialty pigments.
I received a "SMOKE" sample kit from Lisa Kettell, the Beacon Creative Director while at the Craft and Hobby Show (now named Association for Creative Industries)  in January.

A benefit to working in a creative industry is getting the opportunity to experiment with products before consumers are able to purchase them.

Jewel Crete is fast setting, can be cast or molded and does hold very fine detail.


I decided to make my Jewel Crete and pour it into molds that I placed some semi precious shards and beads into.  I followed the instructions provided and had a batch ready to use in a few minutes.  
You just add water.


The Jewel Crete goes easily into the mold opening with a wooden stir stick.  My plan was to create a truly rustic looking rocky effect so I did not flatten the cement on top.  


I let everything dry for a day and then as you can see the finished peices popped out my mold perfectly.  (You might notice that just before I left my peices to dry, I added some gold foil flakes to the wet Jewel Crete too.)



I used my dremel to sand away some edges and to make a few areas rougher.  The Jewel Crete that dried closest to the mold is smooth and shiny.  I made some of that rougher.  I applied a little extra gold colour with metallic rub ons.


Once I was satisfied with my sanding I applied some clear drying gel medium to the Jewel Crete so that the colour was set.


I love how these peices look like I cut them out of a cave!  
You would never know they were not completely stone.
I also gathered some bezels to see how they would look set into metal.


This pendant is my favorite.  I drilled a hole through the Jewel Crete to make it easy to wear.


I attached it to a long velour cord.


This brooch looks wonderful in person.


This pendant is rustic and certainly one of a kind.


It sits in a place of pride on this boho style necklace.

I am very happy with my experiments.
I look forward to Jewel Crete joining my workbench when it is launched!



This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. 
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: